What can you do to be proactive with your claim
If you have had a claim, being proactive can help your claim to get settled more quickly. Here are a few tips of how to be proactive with your claim.
- Get help – Contact the authorities. This can include the fire department, emergency medical personnel or the police depending on the nature of the claim.
- Take Precautions – This could mean moving a vehicle out of traffic, putting a tarp over a damaged roof, or making things as safe as they can be to prevent others from getting injured. Don’t put yourself in harms way to take these precautions.
- Gather information – Take video or pictures of the damage, make notes about what was damaged, and how.
- Obtain Contact Information – Depending on the nature of the claim you will want to get the insurance information from other driver’s, contact information of witnesses.
- Report the claim – Don’t wait report the claim as soon as possible.
- Cooperate with the adjuster – This might sound funny, but isn’t as common as you might think.
Also, avoid oversharing and trying to settle things yourself. This means don’t sign documents, don’t discuss the claim with someone other than your insurance agent or company assigned adjuster. In your policy there are a number of conditions that you must meet in order to have your claim settled. Trying to operate outside of the standard process can slow the process down, and cause all sorts of problems, but being proactive inside of the rules can help your claim be settled more quickly.