Motor Home Insurance – Insurable Motorized Units

RV Insurance Motorized Units Safford, AZWhen it comes to RV Insurance, there are several different types of insurable RVs including “Motorized” and “Non-Motorized” units. When it comes to “Motorized” units there are several different shapes and sizes, but most the most common types are motorhomes. However, even motor homes come in all different shapes and sizes. Below is a summary of the most common types of Motorhome insurance the RV Insurance Professionals at Gila Insurance Group provide:

Class A Motorhome Insurance – When it comes to Motorhomes or RVs, most people immediately think of the traditional Class A Motorhome. These beautiful machines are amazing in terms of luxury and amenities. Typically they are anywhere from 20-40 feet long, and can sleep anywhere from 6 to 10 people. Class A motorhomes are built on specially designed motor home chassis, which are built to handle the heavy load of a home on wheels. Class A motor homes are unique in their living space, and usually have at least two slide outs. The Maximum value we can insure for these units is $2,000,000.

Professional Bus Conversions Insurance – The key words here are professional conversion. These units are buses that have been modified to provide temporary living quarters. These units can be incredible, but again we are only able to insure those that have been modified professionally.

Class B Motorhome Insurance –These are also known as conversion or camper vans, because they are built on a Van Chassis. Two to four people can sleep in this set up, although it can be tight quarters. Despite the similarities to vans, these units are very different, and include some combinations of sleeping, kitchen and toilet facilities. Moreover they must include electric power and a water hookup. Despite the amenities, usually these are very basic due to space restrictions, so while you will probably be able to stand up inside of a Class B motorhome, don’t expect the luxurious amenities of a class A–they will be basic.

Class C Motorhome Insurance – Somewhere between the luxurious large Class A and the minimum utility of a Class B sits the Class C. These are also known as Mini-Motorhomes. Distinguished by their cab-over sleeping quarters, these units are typically built on a van or truck chassis.

Toterhome Insurance – Similar to the Class C variety are toterhomes. However, rather than being built on a Van or Truck chassis, a toterhome is built on a semi chassis. Meaning toterhomes are typically modified freightliner or Peterbuilt semi-trucks that include the equipment that make them eligible for RV insurance.

Medium Duty Tow Vehicle Insurance – This is an odd addition to the “motorized” unit list. Not because it is not motorized, but because it typically has no living quarters. Medium duty tow vehicles are large trucks–such as Peterbuilt, Freightliner, Ford F450s, GMC 4500–or others that have been modified to tow fifth wheel trailers.

Regardless of the class, or type of motorhome or motorized unit you have, the Team at Gila Insurance Group can provide motorhome insurance for most types of Motorhomes. Even if we haven’t listed the exact name or class (like a super C or a B Plus) we can probably still insure it.

For more information, call us at 877-784-6787, we are ready and willing to help you.

What is An Insurable RV?

In 13 years of providing RV insurance we’ve gained a bit of experience. By experience I mean we get asked to insure all types of things. So much so that it necessitates a few definitions.

Since we are talking about RV insurance, let’s start with defining what an RV or Recreational Vehicle is. A Recreational Vehicle comes in two general types–Motorized units and Non-motorized units. Motorized units are Motorhomes. Motorhomes are divided into three classes including Class A, Class B, and Class C. Non-motorized units are typically of the towable variety and include conventional travel trailers, fifth wheels, toy haulers and pop-up campers.

That said, not all “RVs” are insurable. So let’s define what an insurable recreational vehicle is.

While different insurance companies have different appetites for risk, most have very similar definitions of what makes an RV insurable. For example most insurable RVs have the following equipment.

  • Refrigeration equipment
  • LP-Gas / Propane System
  • Bathroom Facilities that are “Built in and Plumbed”
  • Cooking Equipment (think kitchen, not a Coleman)
  • Heating/Air conditioning system that is separate from the system provided by the engine
  • Separate electric power system with a 110V-125V hook up
  • Drinkable water supply system

With few exceptions these are required for all insurable RVs. So, let’s talk exceptions to these hard fast rules.

These items are insurable if the exceptions are met:

Class B Motorhomes, or camper vans – While Camper vans are not required to have all of the equipment provided above, they are still required to have a fresh water hook up and a separate 110 volt electric power hook up. In addition a Class B motorhome must include at least two of the following: sleeping facilities, kitchen or toilet facilities.

Pop-up Camper – no requirements

Truck Camper – again, no requirements

If you have an insurable RV and are in the market for RV insurance contact us today at 877-784-6787 or start your quote online today.

This coverage explanation is for illustration purposes only and is general in nature. Coverage explained here may not apply to your policy, State, company, or situation. For more information about how your policy would respond in the event of a loss, please refer to the terms and conditions and declarations page of your policy.


Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels – What We Can Insure

Travel Trailer Insurance Agent Safford, AZWhen we look at what can be broadly classified as “towable” or non-motorized units there are all sorts of variety and nuances can that can be introduced. The long and short of it is that we do provide travel trailer insurance for all sorts units including conventional travel trailers, fifth wheels, toy haulers, and more. In most states we can provide travel trailer insurance for units up to $200,000 in value. Below is how we define each of our insurable travel trailers.

Conventional Travel Trailer Insurance – A conventional travel trailer is one that is towed by bumper or frame hitch. It must include living quarters that include bathroom, kitchen, and sleeping facilities among other requirements. They can be stationary, but there are state limitations.

Fifth Wheel insurance – Fifth wheels are distinguished by their gooseneck hitches that are designed to extend into the bed of a truck, and connect to the ball located in the center of the bed. Similar to conventional travel trailer these must have living facilities, can be stationary subject to limitation. Fifth wheel trailers have several advantages over conventional travel trailer as the goose neck hitch offers better load transfer and weight distribution than bumper hitches. Consequently, there is increased stability resulting in better operator control and safety. Fifth wheels can be hauled by pickup trucks, but also have the versatility of being pulled by medium duty tow unit which are semi-trucks that have been modified to pull fifth wheels.

Toy Hauler insurance – Toy haulers can be of the bumper pull or fifth wheel variety. They must include living quarters, but unlike traditional travel trailers or fifth wheels they also include storage space for items such as ATVs, Motorcycles, or all sorts of things.

Regardless of the type of travel trailer you have, the RV Insurance Professionals at Gila Insurance Group can probably insure it.

This coverage explanation is for illustration purposes only and is general in nature. Coverage explained here may not apply to your policy, State, company, or situation. For more information about how your policy would respond in the event of a loss, please refer to the terms and conditions and declarations page of your policy.


RV Insurance Loss Settlement Options

RV Insurance Agent Safford, AZWhen it comes to your RV, auto insurance isn’t good enough. You need specialty RV insurance coverage, and one of the most important things you get with a specialty policy is unique RV Loss Settlement Options. Below is a brief explanation of each of the options.

Actual Cash Value – This is the auto insurance option and in some cases its the only thing you can get. In an actual cash value situation you get the current value of the RV. Meaning you are subject to depreciation. So even if you bought a new unit, you may get significantly less than the purchase price. This is the cheapest option when it comes to premium, but is not the greatest when it comes to a claim, as it pays out the least.

Total Loss Replacement – If you have a total loss, Total Loss Replacement will replace your unit with a new unit. After a while, you will get the purchase price guarantee. Wait, what? Remember the cost of a new unit will increase every year. So total loss replacement would ensure you get a new unit for the first several years (sorry for being vague it varies by company), after the first several years you would get the purchase price of the original unit to go towards the cost of a new unit (which again, may not cover all of it because prices of RVs go up every year).

Purchase Price Guarantee – Purchase Price Guarantee protects you against deprecation. With this option you would get what you paid for the original unit (less the deductible) towards the cost of a new unit. Unfortunately this option has lots of rules that vary by carrier. But some general rules include the fact that this coverage is not available to every RV, and must be applied soon after you buy the unit. Also, the coverage may drop off and will no longer be available after a certain number of years. With this option you premium will increase each year, as your unit gets older. Unfortunately switching a new company with a lower premium means that you will probably lose this coverage and only be able to get Actual Cash Value.

Agreed Value – In some cases you might have an older unit that is worth more than the actual cash value because you have refurbished it. In these cases you will be asked to provide pictures and other proof of the higher value. Then you and the company can agree on a value that will be paid in the event of an accident.

Insurance is a balance, premium on one side, and payout on the other. In some cases the age of the RV will determine the loss settlement, but in other cases understanding the RV Loss Settlement Options available to you can save you a lot of headache in the event of a claim.

Specialty RV Insurance Coverage

RV insurance specialty coverage is important, because le’s face it, an RV is a hybrid. It rolls down the highway, only to be parked and be a temporary home. From an insurance stand point this means we need to cover you not only while its being driven or in tow, but also when its parked. It also means that we need to insure all the cool things that make it livable.

Replacement Cost Personal Effects – Unlike an Auto policy an RV policy can provide coverage for your personal effects. This is an example of how an RV policy can kind of be like a home insurance policy. A traditional Auto policy isn’t going to cover you for personal property, rather, it tells you go get that coverage from your Homeowners policy. But in your RV you may have things to cook, clean, sleep, and live. Personal Effects coverage can cover all these things up to the limit on your policy in the event that then are damaged, destroyed, or stolen.

Attached Accessories – Coverage for Attached Accessories, including awnings, satellite dishes and TV antennas.

RV Road Service Insurance & Unlimited Towing  Provides sign-and-drive coverage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Includes battery jump starts, fuel delivery, flat tire change, lockout service, and winching and towing for mechanical or electrical breakdown. The amount you choose is the limit of coverage (the maximum payment from the insurance company).

Emergency Expense Coverage  Reimburses you for expenses incurred following an accident or other covered loss. Pays for hotels and transportation if your coach is incapacitated. Choose the dollar amount for maximum reimbursement.

Vacation Liability – So you have just finished, setting up your rig in a camp site, you have just put out your chairs so that you can sit and relax under the awning, when a neighbor, comes over, trips, falls, and breaks an arm. Where are you going to get covered? Vacation Liability. Vacation Liability covers losses resulting in injury, death, or property damage that includes in your motor home or travel trailer, or on your campsite.

Full-Timer RV Coverage – Are you living in your RV full-time. If you are you will want to purchase Full-Timer liability. This works like the personal  liability coverage that is provided by a homeowners policy. Whereas the vacation liability works like premise liability, the Full-Timer Liability is much broader. Some companies will cover medical payments, loss assessment, and even contents in a storage unit. Full-Timer Coverage is designed for those that use their motor home or travel trailer for six or more months out of the year.

Mexico Physical Damage – If you are headed to Mexico, we can cover your RV for collision and other-than-collision while in Mexico.

RV Specific Loss Settlements – From total loss replacement, to purchase price guarantee, to agreed value we have RV specific loss settlements that will protect your RV in the best way possible.

Diminishing Deductible – For every loss free year you have, your deductible decreases. At within several years (depends on the carrier) you can have a situation that you would not have a deductible in the event of a loss.

Mexico Coverage  Covers your recreational vehicle for comprehensive and collision while you travel in Mexico, provided you maintain Mexico liability insurance during your entire trip.

Don’t settle for an Auto insurance policy, get the RV insurance specialty coverage you need! Request a quote through or website or call us today.