If you have had a claim, being proactive can help your claim to get settled more quickly. Here are a few tips of how to be proactive with your claim.

  1. Get help – Contact the authorities. This can include the fire department, emergency medical personnel or the police depending on the nature of the claim.
  2. Take Precautions – This could mean moving a vehicle out of traffic, putting a tarp over a damaged roof, or making things as safe as they can be to prevent others from getting injured. Don’t put yourself in harms way to take these precautions.
  3. Gather information – Take video or pictures of the damage, make notes about what was damaged, and how.
  4. Obtain Contact Information – Depending on the nature of the claim you will want to get the insurance information from other driver’s, contact information of witnesses.
  5. Report the claim – Don’t wait report the claim as soon as possible.
  6. Cooperate with the adjuster – This might sound funny, but isn’t as common as you might think.

Also, avoid oversharing and trying to settle things yourself. This means don’t sign documents, don’t discuss the claim with someone other than your insurance agent or company assigned adjuster. In your policy there are a number of conditions that you must meet in order to have your claim settled. Trying to operate outside of the standard process can slow the process down, and cause all sorts of problems, but being proactive inside of the rules can help your claim be settled more quickly.


Motor Home Insurance – Insurable Motorized Units

RV Insurance Motorized Units Safford, AZ

RV Insurance Motorized Units Safford, AZWhen it comes to RV Insurance, there are several different types of insurable RVs including “Motorized” and “Non-Motorized” units. When it comes to “Motorized” units there are several different shapes and sizes, but most the most common types are motorhomes. However, even motor homes come in all different shapes and sizes. Below is a summary of the most common types of Motorhome insurance the RV Insurance Professionals at Gila Insurance Group provide:

Class A Motorhome Insurance – When it comes to Motorhomes or RVs, most people immediately think of the traditional Class A Motorhome. These beautiful machines are amazing in terms of luxury and amenities. Typically they are anywhere from 20-40 feet long, and can sleep anywhere from 6 to 10 people. Class A motorhomes are built on specially designed motor home chassis, which are built to handle the heavy load of a home on wheels. Class A motor homes are unique in their living space, and usually have at least two slide outs. The Maximum value we can insure for these units is $2,000,000.

Professional Bus Conversions Insurance – The key words here are professional conversion. These units are buses that have been modified to provide temporary living quarters. These units can be incredible, but again we are only able to insure those that have been modified professionally.

Class B Motorhome Insurance –These are also known as conversion or camper vans, because they are built on a Van Chassis. Two to four people can sleep in this set up, although it can be tight quarters. Despite the similarities to vans, these units are very different, and include some combinations of sleeping, kitchen and toilet facilities. Moreover they must include electric power and a water hookup. Despite the amenities, usually these are very basic due to space restrictions, so while you will probably be able to stand up inside of a Class B motorhome, don’t expect the luxurious amenities of a class A–they will be basic.

Class C Motorhome Insurance – Somewhere between the luxurious large Class A and the minimum utility of a Class B sits the Class C. These are also known as Mini-Motorhomes. Distinguished by their cab-over sleeping quarters, these units are typically built on a van or truck chassis.

Toterhome Insurance – Similar to the Class C variety are toterhomes. However, rather than being built on a Van or Truck chassis, a toterhome is built on a semi chassis. Meaning toterhomes are typically modified freightliner or Peterbuilt semi-trucks that include the equipment that make them eligible for RV insurance.

Medium Duty Tow Vehicle Insurance – This is an odd addition to the “motorized” unit list. Not because it is not motorized, but because it typically has no living quarters. Medium duty tow vehicles are large trucks–such as Peterbuilt, Freightliner, Ford F450s, GMC 4500–or others that have been modified to tow fifth wheel trailers.

Regardless of the class, or type of motorhome or motorized unit you have, the Team at Gila Insurance Group can provide motorhome insurance for most types of Motorhomes. Even if we haven’t listed the exact name or class (like a super C or a B Plus) we can probably still insure it.

For more information, call us at 877-784-6787, we are ready and willing to help you.


Valuing Your Investment Property For Insurance

Investment Property Safford, AZ

Investment Property Safford, AZValuing of an investment property can be difficult. Add in the idea of a different value for insurance and you have a complicated world.

Demystifying Insurance Valuation

Lessons from Goldilocks

The valuation of any asset can be tricky, and who better to understand that than an investor.

I once approached an owner of a property that I liked.  I had heard through a mutual friend, that he was thinking of selling it and I approached him, hoping to close the deal before he put it on the market. The short of it is, I asked him what he wanted for it. His response illustrates the point I am trying to make. “Well…” he said. “I had it appraised, and as an owner occupied unit it is valued at $121,000. As a Rental Property, it is valued at $185,000.” Okay…truth is, he never did answer my question.

The “market” value of a home is in the eyes of the beholder, and thus the negotiation. Obviously we try to be objective by looking at comparables and the price per square foot.  A home can be appraised, but even that can be subjective (funny how they often come out to the same price as what the seller was asking, right? But I digress). Then you have your finance gurus who talk about valuation models that seek to determine the return, and therefore the value. We hear things like “Cap Rate,” and “Discounted Cash Flow,” that are other ways investors valuate properties.

For insurance purposes we care about one thing and one thing only; indemnifying you. We care about what the replacement cost of the home is. What it is going to cost to get you back to where you started. For investors, this means we are going to get the asset back where it was, producing cash flow. Also, we don’t care how much the land cost. The land will still be there to build upon; we only care what it costs us to start installing the walls, roof, floor coverings, deck, etc. We are looking for the replacement cost.

How do you determine that? It could be through appraisal (minus the land value), or through another expert opinion (i.e. a contractor or real estate agent). It could be through a “Cost Estimator Tool” provided by your insurance agent, or a combination of all these sources. The key is to find an accurate valuation and insure the home for 100% of that amount. Not more and not less.

Why? For a couple of reasons:

  1. This is the amount that the company will pay if there is a loss. You already will be on the hook for a deductible. Let’s not complicate things. Let’s minimize your out of pocket expense.
  2. You don’t want to over insure it, you will pay too much for premium and the company will raise its eye when you insure, your $125,000 property, for a million dollars. They will be inspecting it, and will cancel your policy, if it looks like things are not accurate.
  3. You don’t want to under insure it. First off, the most the company will pay is their “limit of liability” or the value you have on your policy. So if you under insure it, you will have your deductible, plus the difference between the replacement cost and what you insured it for, as your out of pocket expense. Finally, if you get too low on the valuation, you start getting penalties. Usually this kicks in at lower than 80%. Some companies will penalize you by saying that if you insure the home for less than 80% they take the claim to an actual cash value world. Others start reducing the amount they will pay of the claim, by the same percentage that you have underinsured the property.

So, when it comes to valuation, remember Goldilocks and the Three Bears. You don’t want too hot (over insuring the property). You don’t want too cold (underinsuring the property). You want 100% of just right (replacement cost). So do some homework, figure out what the home is worth and insure it just right!

To get an incredible quote these coverage sections start our online quote form. To Talk to a licensed agent about this coverage call us at 1-877-784-6787.

This coverage explanation is for illustration purposes only and is general in nature. Coverage explained here may not apply to your policy, State, company, or situation. For more information about how your policy would respond in the event of a loss, please refer to the terms and conditions and declarations page of your policy.